Sharon's INSPIRATIONAL Short stories of Faith and Romance can be found HERE or visit her
Facebook Page, which also has the links in the comments.)

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Wednesday Spotlight with Jennette Green

Hello and welcome to Wednesday Spotlight! Today’s featured guest is Jennette Green, and she’s here to chat about her latest release, Her Reluctant Bodyguard, a contemporary inspirational romance. With the tropical birds serenading from the lush foliage, Oliver fusses with his prize-winning roses, whistling while he struts about the arbor. But when the tinkering of chimes float across the terrace, he dashes off in hot pursuit. Seconds later, he saunters in with Jennette, winking wildly and pumping his biceps. Helping her into one of the teakwood chairs circling the umbrella table, he plucks a Lady Diana rose from the glossy leaves and presents it with a roguish smile. "There you go then, sweet thing."


Jennette: Thank you so much, Oliver. (Blush and dimpled grin.)

Sharon: Thanks for joining me today, Jennette. I’ve been reading a bit about Her Reluctant Bodyguard and must admit to being hooked. I can’t wait to hear more about it. And here comes Oliver with his copy.

With a tray of refreshments poised above his head and a hot off the press copy of Her Reluctant Bodyguard in his other hand, Oliver presents chilled pineapple juice and a platter of almonds. Clearing his throat, he reaches into his shirt pocket and fishes out a pen. With a bow Valentino himself would envy, he places the book down and opens it. "If  I might be so bold as to request your autograph, love?"


Jennette: I would be honored.


Sharon: Thank you, Oliver. That will be all. Sharon and Jennette clink glasses in a toast. Here’s wishing you tons of sales. Why don’t you read the blurb and excerpt for us?


Jennette:

Blurb

Alexa's dream job becomes a threat to her life...

When English pop star Colin Radcliff asks Alexa to write his biography and tour with him in Europe, she's thrilled. It all seems like a fairy tale come true—until she begins to receive death threats.


To her dismay, Colin puts her under the 24/7 protection of his Italian chief bodyguard, Jamison Constanzo—a man with whom she’s clashed from day one. If only she could spend more time with her perfect man, Colin, rather than spending all of her days with this black-hearted thorn in her side!

Alexa struggles to control her flip attitude toward Jamison. Why does opening up her heart to him feel almost as dangerous as dealing with the stalker’s threats?

But when the killer strikes, Jamison is the only one she can turn to…


Excerpt

Alexa crossed to poke her head into Jamison’s room. He’d just unzipped a giant suitcase—black, of course—and draped a clump of black, button down shirts on the bed. Some looked to be made of cotton, others of a silkier material.

“Are you color blind?” she wanted to know.

He glanced up. “You’re here to help me unpack?”

“Of course not!” Alexa felt embarrassed, but didn’t retreat. “We need to hash out

rules so we can live in peace.”

He pulled out a pile of black pants. Some jeans, some slacks.


“Would you stop that?” she demanded. “I’m trying to have a serious conversation.”

“I can’t unpack at the same time?”

Alexa gritted her teeth. “I have no desire to see any of your black…unmentionables.”


An actual smile curled his lips, and he stopped pulling items from his suitcase.

“Then wait in the sitting area. I’ll be five minutes.”

Alexa narrowed her eyes. She didn’t want to stay here, but she didn’t want to retreat, either. And she wanted to assert her rules first—before the bodyguard had a chance to make a power grab. “I’ll make it snappy,” she said, averting her eyes as he pulled smaller black items from the suitcase and tucked them in the dresser. “I have one rule. You leave me alone, and I’ll leave you alone.”

“Fine.” Jamison pulled a thick book from the bottomless suitcase and placed it on the bedside table. What was that? War and Peace? Certainly appropriate for their living situation.

“Well then,” Alexa said, pleased. “I’ll leave you to sort your outfits by color. I’m never sure—does black silk go with black cotton?” With this saucy comment, which likely sailed right over his unfashionable head, she turned to leave.

“I have a rule.”

Alexa turned back. She should have known her triumph had been too easy.

“You don’t leave this apartment without me.”

Alexa fell silent for one long beat, absorbing the full, horrifying implications of his statement. “Excuse me? I’m supposed to be chained to you night and day?”

“That’s what twenty-four/seven means.” He flipped the suitcase shut. The rasp of the zipper sounded like machine gun fire in the suddenly silent room. “If you want to run the stairs, I go with you. If you want to shop, I go with you. If you want to sight-see, I go with you. Think of me as your shadow.”

“Hence the black,” she said sarcastically. But further words evaded her. A sick feeling dropped into the pit of her stomach. She and Jamison, joined at the hip for almost five weeks? They couldn’t breathe the same air without fighting! Her fairy tale had officially transformed into a nightmare. She muttered, “We’re going to kill each other.”

“I promise I won’t kill you, princess. It’s not in my job description.” How could he look so amused?


Thunderous applause explodes from the audience. Oliver whistles as he refills the glasses. Bravo!

Sharon: Wow, Jennette. I’d say sparks are gonna fly in this one. Tell us about the chemistry between Alexa and Her Reluctant Bodyguard? Obviously, they’re a match made in heaven. Do dish.

Jennette: Alexa and Jamison sparked from the first minute they met backstage at the Today Show set. He told her to vamoose, and she wouldn’t listen. I had a great time writing these two characters and their snarky conversations. They each have issues, which cause them to be wary of each other, but it was fun to write the humor in the story. Overall, it’s a fun, lighthearted story, interwoven with a few more serious elements. Such as Alexa being stalked.

Sharon: I love the premise of this novel, anything to do with stalkers draw me right in. Why is a stalker after the heroine of the story?

Jennette: Well, that’s one of the big questions. Colin, the English pop star, receives threats, too, from an apparently jealous fan who wants Alexa out of the picture. But is it a jealous fan who is behind the threatening notes? Only one thing is certain--Alexa is the only one who is attacked. When Alexa and Jamison finally discover the motive behind the attacks, they find the killer--but then is it too late?

Sharon: Tell us about the setting and why you chose it for this particular book?


Jennette: The first setting is in New York, and it, along with the whole conflict between Jamison and Alexa, just came to me one day, and like many of my stories, I had to write it down immediately. A few years ago, my husband and I went to New York and visited the Today Show (although only outside, and brrr, was it cold in December). I guess that planted the seed in my imagination. Like Alexa, we stayed at the Michelangelo hotel, and ate dinner at the wonderful Serafina. The tour in Europe grew naturally out of Alexa meeting her favorite English pop star. That was fun to write, too.

Sharon: Why do you suppose that opposites attract?

Jennette: Honestly, I think we see something in the other person that we lack in ourselves. Perhaps it’s a character or personality quality that we wish we possessed--such as being outgoing or bubbly, very confident, clever, etc... We admire those qualities, and we can grow in those same qualities if we put our minds to it. On the other hand, sometimes too much of those opposite qualities can become annoying--which can cause problems.


Sharon: Now let’s talk a bit about you. Tell us what you’ve been up to lately.

Jennette: I’m doing a lot--I always seem to bite off more than I can chew! (Laughs) I’m working on re-editing The Commander’s Desire, because it will be republished in late October with Diamond Press. I’m also polishing up a futuristic romance, which is pretty much nonstop action, drama and romance. I also have a side business where I do website design and technical services for publishers.

Sharon: And how thrilling that a Thailand publisher has expressed interest in another one of your books, The Commander’s Desire. Tell us about this.

Jennette: The agency contacted Rhonda at The Wild Rose Press and she very graciously forwarded the information on to me. Let me just say that I can’t say enough good things about Rhonda, RJ and TWRP. I have truly enjoyed working with them for the past three years, and I will always be thankful for TWRP taking a chance with and publishing The Commander’s Desire. The book will be translated into Thai and published in Thailand in 2011. I’m very excited that they sought out my book and want to publish it. It is very thrilling, and humbling, too. I’m very grateful for everything that has happened..


Sharon: I must share with the readers something we’ve recently discovered about one another. According to some old family records, we both have royal blood coursing through our veins tracing back to Austria. Isn’t that right, Lady Jennette?

Jennette: Yes, it is, Lady Sharon. My great-grandmother held a title in Vienna, Austria, but she married a commoner for love, moved to America, and left it all behind. They settled in Franklin, Pennsylvania. I actually tied my connection to Austria into Her Reluctant Bodyguard. Alexa is half Austrian, and I chose her blue-green eye color to match my grandmother’s, who is half Austrian, also.

Oliver bows and mutters something about this calls for a raise…

Sharon: Well, before Oliver brings out the delicious apple pie he’s just pulled out of the oven, can you share with me a legend or a quote or something you hold near and dear to your heart? I’m a dream weaver and collect legends from my guests. I hope you can grace my collection.


Jennette: I really like the following quote by Ralph Waldo Emerson:

“To laugh often and love much... to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others, to give one’s self... this is to have succeeded.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson


Sharon: Thank you, that’s lovely, and one I’ll certainly add to my collection. Now, can you tell us where readers can learn about you and purchase your books.


Jennette: My books are at Amazon and Barnes & Noble online. You can also visit my website, www.jennettegreen.com, for information on new and upcoming releases. I also have several free reads over there.


Sharon: Thank you for being my featured guest today, Jennette. Best of luck with Her Reluctant Bodyguard. I know I must have a copy.

Jennette: Thank you so much for having me, Sharon, and I’d like to congratulate you, also, on all of the wonderful reviews you’ve received for Mask of the Betrayer. I wish you many sales. :)


Sharon: (Blush) Thank you, Jennette! And while we dig into this delicious apple pie Oliver has so graciously served, we’ll read Jennette Green’s impressive bio.

Writing has always been a passion of mine. I wrote my first story over thirty years ago. Since then, I've written numerous stories and have had several articles published.My first love, however, is writing romance novels. I write both inspirational andl edge).

In October 2008, my first historical romance, The Commander’s Desire, was published by The Wild Rose Press. It has received numerous accolades, including a "Top Pick" rating from "Romance Reader at Heart" and numerous five star reviews. In addition, the hero of the novel was designated "Reader's Favorite Hero" for 2009 at a popular blog. Also, a Thai publisher has indicated interest in translating the book and publishing it in Thailand!

I am blessed with a wonderful, supportive husband, and three terrific children who put up with my crazy writing hours. When I am not writing, I love reading, photography, making videos, and creating and managing my websites.

7 comments:

Hywela Lyn said...

Hi Lady Jennette and Lady Sharon *grin*. Wonderful interview, and what a sizzling excerpt, Jennette. Wishing you great success with Her Reluctant Bodyguard, it sounds wonderful!

Jennette Green said...

Good morning! :)

Thank you so much, Lyn! And Sharon, thank you again for having me on your blog.

I'd like to mention that I'm giving away free ebook copies of Her Reluctant Bodyguard today to three lucky people. Just send me an email today with "Contest" in the headline, and you'll be entered to win.

Green Grandma said...

In an effort to reach her readers, and not knowing how else to do so, I am sorry to inform you that Sharon was hospitalized last night and will be unavailable for some time.

Prayers are most appreciated.

Jennette Green said...

I am so sorry to hear this. I will be praying for Sharon. Please let us know how she is doing when you are able to do so. Thank you.

Hywela Lyn said...

So sorry to hear about Sharon, thanks for letting us know, Green Grandma.

Mary Ricksen said...

Green Grandma can you email me?
mricksen@att.net
I am so worried about Sharon, I am an ex nurse would like to hear about things. Plus I love her bunches!

Miss Mae said...

Sharon, I am so sorry to hear about this. Don't stress about anything, just rest and heal. We'll be here when you are fit and healthy again. :)

Sending hugs and prayers.