Sharon's INSPIRATIONAL Short stories of Faith and Romance can be found HERE or visit her
Facebook Page, which also has the links in the comments.)

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Legend of Christmas Candle

According to legend, throughout medieval Europe, a large candle known as the Christmas candle was burned until the twelfth night in remembrance of the arrival of the Wise Men to Bethlehem. In Victorian times, the candle represented good will and was placed in the window from December 25 to January 6 to welcome any passerby in need of shelter and food.

Many legends and superstitions are associated with candles. Certain cultures believe the burning flame will frighten away evil spirits during the darkest evenings of the year. Norwegians believe that if the Christmas candle burns out on Christmas Eve, bad luck will befall on a family member.
Legends tell us that Christmas candles light the way for the Christ child on Christmas Eve as He wanders from house to house looking for a place to stay. For this reason, no traveler should be turned away on Christmas Eve should he be the Christ child.

The custom of lighting candles on indoor trees was started in Germany to symbolize stars and was a custom that found its way to America. In today’s culture, the lighting of Christmas candles signifies the season of Christmas.

In my house, we light blue candelabras in each window as a symbol of peace and tranquility. When it snows, nothing is more beautiful than serene blue flames reflecting on a blanket of downy white. In the living room, we light fragrant pillar candles to give the house and home a warm ethereal glow.


Where do you light your Christmas candles?

Sharon Donovan
Romantic Suspense with a Twist of Faith


My radio interview is live!

WIN A BOX OF CHOCOLATES
OLIVER’S CHRISTMAS CONTEST!
www.sharonadonovan.com

Follow me on Twitter

MY BOOKS

AVAILABLE ON AMAZON KINDLE AND IN PRINT

Winter Wonders
ISBN-13: 978-1-936167-66-1



Her Biggest Fan
An edge of your seat chilling suspense
ISBN: 1-60154-813-3

Mask of the Betrayer
Book one in the Mask series
Filled with so many twists, turns and surprises, you’ll be
hooked from the first chapter.
ISBN: 978-1-936167-06-7

Echo of a Raven



14 comments:

Sharon Donovan said...

Keep the light burning in your hearts this season. Wishing you and yours a beautiful Christmas.

Oliver said...

May the joy in your heart be as bright as the twinkle in my eye. Wishing you and yours a wonderful Christmas. Please sit by the tree, savor the scent of pine, cinnamon candles and chocolate chips, gingersnaps and sugar cookies. I'm serving eggnog and hot cocoa with a wink and a smile.

Hywela Lyn said...

Mmmm what a delicious Christmas you serve, Oliver, dear, and Sharon, sweet friend, what a beautiful post!

I have a candlebridge in my window and Christmas candles dotted around. I love their soft light and was fascinated by the legends, especially the one about the Christ child wandering from house to house! A reminder we should never turn away anyone in need!

Wish you and your family, and Oliver of course, a lovely Christmas with everything you would wish yourself.

Debra St. John said...

Beautiful post.

And my thoughts and prayers are definitely with you.

Wishing you and yours a very Merry Christmas.

Sarah J. McNeal said...

I'm a fire bug so I light a candle every day all year long when I do my morning prayers. At Christmas, I light a candle on the table for every meal but--I have no candles in my windows. Yikes! I do have bubble lights in the bay window in the living room. Does that count?
I'm wishing a wonderful Christmas for you and yours.

Lynne Marshall said...

Hi Sharon!
Thank you for the history on candles. My husband is the candle lighter in our house. He loves them, so I'll share your blog with him.

I used to put electric candles in each livingroom window that automatically came on at dusk. I believe my reasoning was along the lines of welcoming travelers.

Mary Ricksen said...

I only have one wish for this Christmas. One gift I want more then anything.
Get well soon Sharon!!!
I have artificial candle lights in each front window. I hope with all my heart to get my wish!

Sharon Donovan said...

Lyn, dear friend, love your tradition of lighting candles. Legends are so mystical. Sit by the tree, no doubt Oliver can muster up a mead for you to go with the sweets, m'dear!

Sharon Donovan said...

Sarah, no matter where candles are lit, they add a feeling of peace. Now, tell me, m'dear, just what is a bubble light? Wink

Sharon Donovan said...

Lynne, I'm duly honored that you want to share my post with hubby. Wishing you both a joyous and healthy Christmas!

Sharon Donovan said...

Debra, sweet friend, thank you so very much for your well wishes. Merry Christmas to you and yours

Sharon Donovan said...

Mary, dear friend, your heart-felt wish is so very heart-felt. Love you and Merry Christmas

Oliver said...

Welcome me lovelies. I come bearing freshly-baked gingerbread boys, rum cakes, hot cocoa, spiked eggnog, mead and wine spritzers. Enjoy!

Pat Dale said...

Wonderful post on candles, dear friend. We'll light an extra candle this year in honor of your dauntless spirit. You light the way for the rest of us when it comes to courage.
Be well and of good cheer, Sharon!
Dale